Denmark did not suddenly turn against Gianni Infantino today. What has changed is the next step: the Danish FA now wants to help produce a credible challenger for 2027 as pressure on FIFA’s president moves from protest toward political organisation.*
*By Paul Lucky Okoku*
The crisis surrounding FIFA President Gianni Infantino has entered another important phase.
For weeks, national associations and senior football officials have been questioning his leadership. Sweden has called for new leadership. FIFA vice-presidents have withdrawn support. UEFA, the Asian Football Confederation and CONCACAF have challenged the handling of the abandoned FIFA Forward Enterprise proposal.
Now Denmark is pushing the conversation toward the question every serious political challenge eventually has to answer:
If Infantino should not continue, who should replace him?
Reuters reported on August 21, 2026, that the Danish Football Association, DBU, wants to work with UEFA and other football associations to ensure FIFA’s members have a credible alternative in the March 18, 2027 presidential election.
That is more than another criticism of Infantino.
It is an attempt to move from opposition toward organisation.
DENMARK’S OPPOSITION DID NOT BEGIN TODAY
Accuracy matters because Denmark should not be portrayed as a federation that suddenly withdrew support on August 21.
DBU’s opposition goes back much further.
In November 2022, during the Qatar World Cup controversy surrounding the OneLove captain’s armband, Denmark publicly said it would not support Infantino’s re-election.
DBU later confirmed that Denmark was among the small number of FIFA associations that did not support Infantino in the 2023 presidential election.
Then, on August 1, 2026, DBU President Jesper Møller said confidence in Infantino had disappeared following the controversy over FIFA Forward Enterprise.
Five days later, FIFA sent member associations a written apology over the proposal.
Møller’s response was clear: the apology had not changed his position. He continued to demand a full explanation of how the proposal had been developed.
So the important development today is not that Denmark has discovered opposition to Infantino.
It is that Denmark now wants to help turn that opposition into an alternative candidacy.
THE COMMERCIAL PROPOSAL REMAINS THE SOURCE OF THE TRUST CRISIS
The immediate trigger was Infantino’s proposal to create FIFA Forward Enterprise, a commercial structure reportedly valued at around $20 billion, with private investors potentially acquiring a minority stake.
The plan was abandoned after intense resistance from UEFA and other football bodies.
Denmark had been among its strongest critics.
Møller argued that private investment was being invited into what he regarded as the heart of FIFA and questioned how a proposal of such magnitude could have been developed without prior involvement of FIFA’s member associations or FIFA Council.
That distinction is important.
The plan itself is gone.
But the argument has become less about whether that specific transaction will happen and more about trust in the leadership that developed it.
An apology can withdraw a proposal.
It cannot automatically restore confidence.
DENMARK NOW WANTS FIFA MEMBERS TO HAVE A REAL CHOICE
This is where the August 21 development becomes significant.
According to Reuters, Denmark is working with UEFA and other partners to help ensure that FIFA’s 211 member associations have a credible alternative when they vote next March.
No challenger has formally declared.
The nomination deadline is November 18, 2026.
That gives Infantino’s opponents less than three months to solve their biggest political problem.
It is relatively easy for national associations to say they have lost confidence.
It is much harder to identify someone capable of defeating an incumbent across six continental confederations.
A successful challenger cannot simply be Europe’s candidate.
He or she would need votes in Africa, Asia, CONCACAF, Oceania and South America.
That is where the mathematics become difficult.
PRESSURE IS MOVING BEYOND PUBLIC STATEMENTS
Denmark’s announcement comes as opposition to Infantino is becoming more organised.
UEFA, AFC and CONCACAF officials are discussing whether a possible no-confidence process could be pursued against him.
FIFA’s statutes do not contain a conventional presidential no-confidence procedure, but an Extraordinary Congress can be requested by at least one-fifth of FIFA’s membership — 43 associations.
Whether such a challenge will actually be attempted remains uncertain.
A failed move could even strengthen Infantino by demonstrating that his opponents lack a majority.
But its discussion shows how far the crisis has moved.
This is no longer simply about issuing critical statements.
The opposition is beginning to examine mechanisms for converting dissatisfaction into action.
DENMARK IS ALSO PUTTING TOURNAMENT PARTICIPATION ON THE TABLE
Another part of Denmark’s position deserves attention.
Reuters reports that the DBU is threatening to boycott future FIFA tournaments unless assurances are provided that FIFA will not pursue privatisation of its governance or competitions.
That does not mean Denmark has announced an immediate boycott.
But merely placing tournament participation on the table raises the level of pressure.
Statements can be ignored.
Participation is leverage.
Whether Denmark or other associations would ultimately take such a drastic step is another question. The legal, sporting and financial consequences would be enormous.
But its willingness even to discuss that possibility illustrates the depth of the loss of confidence.
INFANTINO STILL HAS A STRONG POLITICAL BASE
The opposition should not mistake momentum for victory.
Infantino continues to have substantial support.
CAF remains behind him, and CONMEBOL has also supported his leadership. Several national associations in Asia, Africa and elsewhere have publicly backed him.
Reuters reports that important supporters include associations such as Argentina and Mexico, while several Arab federations have also reaffirmed their backing.
That matters because FIFA presidents are elected by national associations, not by newspaper headlines or confederation statements.
Each FIFA member has one vote.
Denmark, Sweden and other critics therefore face the same challenge any opposition movement faces:
They must persuade enough voters that changing leadership is better than continuity.
FROM THE MIDFIELDER’S EYE
In midfield, winning possession is not the end of the move.
It is the beginning.
What matters is what you do next.
Infantino’s opponents have created pressure. They helped stop the commercial proposal. They have challenged his leadership publicly. Some national associations and senior FIFA officials have withdrawn confidence.
Now they need the next pass.
Denmark’s message is essentially this:
Find a credible alternative. Build support. Give FIFA’s members a real choice.
Without that, opposition remains opposition.
FINAL WHISTLE
Denmark’s August 21 announcement should not be exaggerated.
Gianni Infantino has not been defeated.
No challenger has formally entered the race.
And Denmark did not suddenly change sides today.
What has changed is the nature of its involvement.
Denmark is moving from saying who it does not want to helping determine who FIFA might choose instead.
That is a much more consequential step.
The nomination deadline is approaching. Discussions about a no-confidence process are underway. Support for Infantino remains substantial, but the opposition is beginning to organize around the political question that ultimately decides leadership contests.
Who is the alternative?
Until that question is answered, Infantino retains an important advantage.
But Denmark has now made clear that it intends to help find the answer.
SHARE NOTE
If this resonates with you, and you believe accountability, transparency and genuine choice can strengthen world football, please share this article.
Paul Lucky Okoku
FIFA Legend | Former Nigeria Flying Eagles Vice-Captain | Former Super Eagles International | AFCON Silver Medalist | Football Historian | Football Analyst | Journalist-at-Large | Founder & CEO, GTCF
